Monday, September 12, 2005

Weaning, Take 2, Part III

Drugs of choice:
30mg Fluoxetine (40mg today, 20 tomorrow)
PG Tips


Day 4 and I haven't broken down yet. How positively optimistic am I? I have found myself feeling a little more nervous about things than usual, but not worryingly so. I guess having identified this change, I am in control of it.

I have a meeting with our occupational health team this afternoon. This is to discuss my decision to change job, as much to cover their backs should I accuse them of forcing me into the change as it is to check that I'm happy. I am quite excited about the change, as my current role is completely failing to light my fire.

I've been on anti-depressants for almost 10 months now, although with the benefit of hindsight I can see that I have had a history of depression for the last 20 years. I don't think I've recovered, as such, just risen to a point where I no longer contemplate suicide on a daily basis. I have a better understanding of my moods, of my drivers and of the therapies available. I think it is realistic, not pessimistic, to consider that there is a chance of me slipping back, either in a few weeks or a few years. To accept that is not defeat, it is a safety precaution. Denying this possibility would risk delaying future treatment should it be necessary.

Not that I'm out of the woods yet. I think I'm approaching a clearing and this woodland metaphor is stirring up certain pixie fantasies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home