Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Maps

I have had a near lifelong fascination with maps. Not in some geeky, obsessive way, I don't hoard them, but I've always found them interesting.

I suppose, as I child growing up in London, the London Underground Map was a constant feature of my life. It is an icon in its own right. Then, at school, part of our geography lessons were based on learning how to use an Ordnance Survey map, probably the only part of the geography curriculum that I was actually interested in.

On rare occasions, with time to kill, I have sometimes seen something on a map and then made the journey to see it for real, just to find out what it looks like on the ground. Is that long, straight road really that long and straight (and if so, how fast can I drive along it)? Is that hill really that steep?

And so, I have become addicted to Google Earth. If you have a similar addiction, here is the location of Doris, who featured in my first blog entry.

Expect more topographical posts in the future.

2 Comments:

Blogger broke said...

Hi there - I love maps too (is this a depression thing?!). I've just discovered Google Maps Transparencies and Gmaps Pedometer. Both are worth a look! I keep trying to get on Google Earth, but at the moment I think demand outstrips supply... ("Thanks for your interest in Google Earth, but we're sorry we can't offer you a download right now")...
Take care
B

Wed Jul 06, 10:32:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just to say I got Google Earth yesterday! It's amazing! (but I realize i need a faster broadband connection.....)

Fri Jul 08, 07:56:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home