Monday, May 09, 2005

Dreams

Drugs of choice:
Black Americano with a Vanilla shot
Pork Pie
40mg Fluoxetine


One of the side effects of the fluoxetine appears to be an increase in dreams, or at least an increased awareness of dreaming.

I used to rarely be aware of dreaming, unless it was one of those dreams. And if it is one of those dreams, then I'd much rather remember them! However, most mornings I would wake up and I would have no idea if I'd had a dream or not. The whole REM sleep thing would suggest that I must have dreams, I just had no idea.

When I had untreated depression I was pretty similar, although my sleep was disturbed insomuch as I would lie awake thinking, staring at the ceiling, working myself into a more worried state and planning 'exit strategies'. So when I started taking the fluoxetine and I read that it could affect sleep patterns then I didn't mind. I would rather wake up ten times a night for a few minutes than lie awake for hours thinking self-harming thoughts.

It did become a drag, months passing with rarely a disturbance free night. A variety of herbal remedies did nothing, although a few glasses of wine seem to help (please, no comments about depression and alcohol not mixing). More recently it does seem to have improved, except during my attempt at weaning and the days after, as the dosage changes screwed things up.

However, the one thing that has been pretty constant since starting the fluoxetine is my increased awareness of dreaming. More often than not they are somewhat strange and involve people that I haven't seen for years in situations that are related to more recent events. I am usually angry in the dream or when waking, but then I guess depression is just 'anger without enthusiasm'.

On Saturday morning, the first words I said to H were 'I don't want goldfish'. I had had a dream in which we argued about fish. I was so concerned about it that I had to tell her immediately.

The world of dreams is a strange place indeed, but I have learned that honesty is vital in relationships.

I really don't want goldfish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home