Thursday, April 14, 2005

Weaning

Drugs of choice:
Hold Tight London, The Chemical Brothers (Push The Button)
Vanilla Latte
Vanilla cigars
(Vanilla anything)
40mg Fluoxetine per day

Went to see the doctor this morning. I think I have seen my GP more often over the last four months or so than in my whole life. There’s something strange about sitting in the waiting room, surrounded by coughing children and poorly pensioners, yet looking perfectly healthy yourself. No doubt they think there’s either something seriously wrong with me or that I’m a Medical Rep. God forbid.

Things went well though. I’ve spent long enough working in pharma to convince a GP to have a sensible conversation with me about contra-indications and the like, and he is now researching the interactions between anti-histamines and fluoxetine for me. Only one thing worse than suffering depression would be having hayfever and depression.

The main reason it went well is that I am now moving onto the weaning stage. I have been on fluoxetine (generic Prozac) since the 1st of December last year, 20mg at first then up to 40mg in January – post Christmas blues setting back my recovery. I will now be alternating between 20mg and 40mg each day for a while, dropping down to just 20mg if I feel ready or returning to 40mg if I don’t. The other benefit of having a seemingly educated conversation with your doctor is that he will trust you to self medicate.

So now I get to find out the truth. Am I happier, am I better? Has changing my job and my approach to life made me feel better, or is it just the drugs? I’m a little nervous but at the same time almost excited, that I may actually be “Getting Better”.

1 Comments:

Blogger KW said...

Jag,

I too was once on Prozac. It is a good "drug" for someone who is depressed. I have gone through a divorce and it wasn't a good experience. We've been divorced for 15 years or so and have two children. My ex doesn't visit his children (not even the ones he has by his other ex or girlfriends). We haven't seen or heard from him since August 2004 and my youngest son is to the point where he doesn't care if he ever sees his dad. Best of luck to your recovery and I will come back to visit to see how you are progressing. Kat

Thu Apr 14, 03:23:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home