Monday, May 16, 2005

Challenge

Drugs of choice:
Vanilla Black Americano (this is now leaning towards addiction)
The Today Programme, Radio 4
Paula Temple
40mg Fluoxetine


I fancy a challenge. Somewhat superfluous one would think – my life is overflowing with challenges at the moment. Not long started a new job, which requires learning some new skills, less than 10 weeks away from the wedding, a house full of DIY requirements, oh, and a desire to kick anti-depressants.

What do I need another challenge for?

Good thing I have H to ground me. Last week I had all but decided on my challenge. In the 10 weeks before the wedding I would cycle 850 miles. The virtual equivalent of cycling from Lands End to John o'Groats. I set up my sponsorship site and was ready to forward the URL to all my friends and colleagues, when I thought I'd just mention it to H.

She kindly pointed out three things:

1. She would support me.
2. She would not join me – but who can blame her?
3. Exactly when do I think I'm going to have time to cycle 85 miles per week, in between work, wedding plans, DIY and children visits.

Good point, that last one. We have to get up at 0510 each morning to drive to work, so we usually go to bed at about 2100. By the time we get home, eat, tidy up, prepare lunch for the next day, there isn't a lot of time left.

I'm not going to give up though, just postpone. I think I will set myself the same challenge but after the wedding. It will be good to have a goal and lots of exercise, to stop me 'coming down' after the honeymoon.

At least I have learned an important lesson in life. Talk to H before doing anything too silly, so that she can ground me. A few years ago I bought a fire engine on eBay. Yes, a real fire engine, a great big Dennis one. Later that day I mentioned to my (now ex-) wife how my colleagues and I had been discussing how 'cool' it would be to buy a fire engine. She pretty much thought it was a stupid idea, so I ended up withdrawing my bid and paying the seller the amount he lost between my bid and the next one down to keep him sweet.

I never did tell her that I had actually bought it for a few hours.

I still think it would have been cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home