Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Trepidation

When I was signed off from work in December 2004, I didn't return for 3 months. I went through counselling to discover that it was not work that I found impossible, it was the job I was in. I did not want to be a manager, I fundamentally disagreed with our performance management appraisal system. The job I was doing was overstretched and undervalued.

When I was finally able to start talking to my manager again, I went through each of these issues with her and she made changes so that my temporary replacement did not suffer as I had. We agreed that while I wanted to return to work, I did not want to return to that role. My temporary replacement became permanent and the changes in his role continued until it has now become an achievable job. I am glad that he does not have to go through the problems that I did.

So instead a new job was 'invented' for me. It was a return to my more technical background and a chance to learn some new skills that would leave me feeling less incapable of finding work. I have now been in that role for just under 5 months and the fact that it was invented for me is reflected by the somewhat less than taxing nature of my workload.

On my return it was agreed that this would be a six month trial for me and the role – would I be happy in that job, could I cope and was that job needed by the department?

The new role has the following downsides:
Giving up the company car
Being based in one location rather than 2
Having a different manager

The company car has to be returned when it reaches 60,000 miles, which will be not long after returning from honeymoon. The cost of having to run my own car should be offset by the fact that I will pay a lot less income tax each month. I hope. However, I will miss having such a gorgeous car and not having to worry about the hassle of maintaining it.

Our company has two locations, one about 20 miles from where I live, the other about 70. My main location is the 70 mile trip. While I have been easing back in to my job I have been allowed to spend two days a week in the more local office. I have been asked to start working towards spending all week in the main location. The commuting has a major effect on my physically, and while I car share with H for 3 days of the week, she is only part time, so the other 2 I will be on my own. I am worried about this.

The change in manager has been significant. I used to work for D. I now officially report to N, who works for P, who is at the same management level as D.

Don't worry, you won't need to remember all these 'names'.

The fact that I am 'down a level' doesn't bother me. I'm just glad noone has to report to me anymore. Unfortunately, N is not exactly a dynamic manager, and hes left most of the managing to P. P leaves quite a bit to be desired.

She was supposed to organise monthly progress meetings with her, myself and D. We had one in March when I initially returned and today we had the second, nearly 5 months later. Hmmm. She is not a people person, she tends to be more abrupt. I miss working for D.

She wants to start stretching me, so I have agreed to book a training course for when I return from my honeymoon and then take on a new objective, a little project to see how I cope. I am nervous about this, but know that it is what I need, otherwise I will die of boredom. So it seems my trial of this new role will be extended.

My biggest concern is the 5 days a week working up here. How will I cope? How will I cope if things go according to plan and H becomes pregnant after we marry and gives up work?

So, I enter a period of trepidation.

Can I cope physically and mentally working 5 days here?
Can I cope financially if I go part time, and only work 4 days a week?
Or can I cope financially if I take a significantly lower paid but full time job in the other office?

The next few months will show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home