Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Changes

Drugs of choice:
Black Americano
Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty
10mg Loratadine
40mg Fluoxetine


So many people around me are going through changes...

In the last few months, two colleagues have left the company to set up their own businesses, in completely unrelated fields. Another has just announced to me her intentions to do the same in a few weeks. Yet another is leaving in about two months to go and live in Cyprus, while one of the people who used to report to me is taking voluntary redundancy at the end of this month.

Both my elder sisters recently resigned from their jobs, one to focus on her house and child for a year or so, the other to take a break before continuing her career in a different direction.

And on Sunday, H had her last cigarette. She has smoked for the last 12 years or so (just don't tell her mum!) but she wants to quit before we marry. This is so that she doesn't have to sneak off during the wedding for a quick fix. More importantly, it is also so that after we marry we can start trying for children.

So far it certainly isn't easy. She has gone 'cold turkey' and last night the nicotine withdrawal seemed to peak. Tears, anger, hyperventilation, you name it. Hand holding and hot chocolate appeared to help.

I think she's worried that she might upset me with her mood swings – actually 'swing' is the wrong word, more 'plummet'. And, yes, it can be upsetting, but I bite my tongue because nothing she says or does is intended to hurt or upset me. It's the cigarettes, or absence of them, that does it. So she bottles it up and makes it worse.

Hopefully things will be better tonight, otherwise I will have to make her talk to me, or at least listen to me, so I can explain the above. At the end of the day, I love her and nothing is going to change that.

...as for me, well, I'd like to lose a couple of pounds so I've stopped adding vanilla to everything. I'll stay on the happy pills for now, thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home